KEEP VISITING KENYAN HEALTH MINISTRIES/ DEPARTMENTS websites to keep updated: HERE
AFRICAN HUMAN RIGHTS COALITION:
AHRC - COVID-19 Advisory- March 16, 2020.
The new Coronavirus – called COVID-19 virus causes fever, cough, shortness of breath and breathing difficulties.
There is no need to panic.
It is VERY IMPORTANT at this time for community to work cooperatively and in unity.
It is VERY IMPORTANT to your health and that of all others to follow the instructions of UNHCR and Government authorities. Keep your eyes open for new directives from authorities.
Go to the UNHCR and COUNTRY HEALTH MINISTRIES/ DEPARTMENTS websites to keep updated: Visit the website of the Kenyan Ministry of Health for updated information: HERE
KENYA: At this time very few people have it and they are contained. The extreme precautions are to stop the spread, not to cause panic, and to keep risk low.
MOST IMPORTANT: WASH HANDS WITH SOAP AND WATER VERY OFTEN ALL DAY FOR 20 Seconds each time!!!!!
Protecting Kenya, the president announced stringent travel and other restrictions. Only Kenyan citizens to be allowed into Kenya provided they go to self-quarantine or government facility. The Kenyan Ministry of Health has suspended all public gatherings, meetings and events.
U.S. EMBASSY KENYA (Be advised to check U.S. Embassy Website in country of your location if you are scheduled to travel for resettlement or a U.S. Citizen. You can also check with IOM as to current updated situation.)
All routine consular appointments at the U.S. Embassy from March 16 to March 27 are canceled.
If you are sick with the symptoms which include fever, cough, shortness of breath and breathing difficulties, call 999/911 or UNHCR toll free line at 0800-720063.
If you are sick the government has made provision for those who need to be tested and isolated to receive the care they need and isolation hospitals and transport are in place, as long as you call relevant numbers posted here, you should be taken care of.
It is important that you are familiar with all the precautions that can be taken to avoid and prevent infection of yourself and those around you.
It is also easy for the virus to spread on our hands and in drops of spit, for example when sneezing or coughing. This is why we must all make sure we act in a safe and healthy way. If we stop the disease before it gets to very old or very sick people, they will not be in danger.
HOW TO STAY SAFE TO AVERT CORONA VIRUS:|
RULES FOR COMMUNITY HOUSES AND GROUP GATHERINGS
* Everyone should wash his or her hands with disinfectant soap or liquid often and wash for at least 20 seconds each time.
* Isolate anyone who has Corona virus symptoms.
* Cover yourself with mask when traveling.
* Avoid animals in the areas where Corona virus cases are reported
* Avoid greeting using your hands , avoid hugs, hand shaking, holding hands etc,..
* Do not eat using hands from same shared plate
* Avoid sex during this Corona virus spreading period.
* Social Distance: Try to remain 6 feet apart from other people at all times. Avoid animals and body to body contact with intruders. Do not have parties, do not get into crowds, avoid visiting friends, curb drinking, no drug use, no sex work, no large gatherings, no crowds, avoid public transport and taxi travel, avoid unnecessary travel, stay home as much a spossible.
* Avoid face touching before washing your hands.
We are waiting to hear of any specific protocols in place for Kakuma or refugees in general. In the meantime all refugees are advised to follow the exact same instructions provided to ALL Kenyan citizens and residents.
AHRC NOTICE TO SCAMMERS and FUNDERS:
Unfortunately crisis such as this paves the way for dishonest people to scam and attempt to defraud others. Please do not enable fraud by sending money based on claims of people having Corona Virus. Rather send money to organizations who provide services and support. Everyone is covered for their medical and transport needs, as long as they follow protocols. AHRC takes a zero tolerance policy towards scamming and lies and our reaction to anyone taking advantage of this health crisis will be swift and resolute. Any Scammer please note that YOUR scamming could end stipends, emergency funds, and livelihood funding for all refugees. AHRC donations during Corona pandemic will continue to be used on emergency basis: www.africanHRC.org/donate